Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mea Maxima Culpa

The prompt  over at Write Anything this week sets the scene as late on Feb 14th. Your character has realised that they have forgotten Valentines Day and the affiliated expectations surrounding it. What excuse or reason are they going to give to their partner?  

As always, this is in first draft format.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX


This story has been removed to be polished and submitted into competitions.. wish me luck!




XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is a first draft.

Story inspired by the [Fiction Friday] prompt at Write Anything  and submitted to JM Strother’s #FridayFlash via Twitter.

This story will be recorded and posted up for Spoken Sunday via Audio Boo

7 comments:

Shelli said...

What a sad and moving twist. I liked it a lot. Very nicely done.

J. M. Strother said...

Well, I did not see that coming. I'm quite intrigued by the hint that he feels it his fault she died - "you paid the price." I imagine him being late to pick her up, and she was attacked while waiting for him? That certainly would be a load of guilt to live with.
~jon

Unknown said...

Thanks Jon and Shelli!! a bit of a twist on the prompt from that week... I didn't want to do a soppy one..

Anonymous said...

Oh my, this is so sad and beautiful. I'm glad I checked the #SpokenSunday tag and found your story. I listened, touched by every word. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I did not expect that ending. How sad, the weight of his words ring solid in his greif.

Cat Russell said...

Wonderfully done.

J.W. Bettencourt said...

Wow..
Masterful twist at the end, transforming him from a flaky boyfriend to a potentially tragic and remorseful mystery.